Ayers Rock & The Red Centre
Australia’s vast central region is a timeless landscape of rust red desert and rugged mountain ranges. It’s beauty and remoteness coupled with it’s iconic landmark makes this outback region a must see destination.
The most famous landmark of all is Ayers Rock, or Uluru, sacred to Aboriginal people for thousands of years. Nearby are the mysterious Olgas and four hours drive away is Kings Canyon.
The Red Centre’s more recent history can be found in Alice Springs, which began as a telegraph station in the 1800s and is now the main gateway to the region. Its fascinating museums and visitor centres tell the story of early pioneers.
Save time and money with our Free planning service
Things to do in the Red Centre
Australia’s Red Centre is at the southern end of the vast Northern Territory. To get the most from your visit, consider a self drive or one of our Explorer packages that include all the attractions. You can always add a day or two for some extra excursions.
- Watch sunrise or/and sunset over Ayers Rock
- Wander through the domed gorges of the impressive Olgas
- Dine under the stars at the Sounds of Silence outback dinner
- Enjoy the wind in your face on a Harley Davidson ride around Ayers Rock
- See the Red Centre from the air on a scenic flight or balloon ride
- Admire the Field of Light installation until December 2020
- Trek the rim of magnificent Kings Canyon
- Visit the informative Royal Flying Doctors Service at Alice Springs
- Learn about the regions fauna and flora at Alice Springs Desert Park
- Embark on a self drive adventure through the Outback
- Lie back and admire millions of stars in the night sky
- Learn about the region’s recent and ancient history and Aboriginal culture
Getting to and travelling around the Red Centre is easier than you might think. The main attractions are connected by good sealed roads and, for the adventurous, there are plenty of 4-wheel-drive tracks.
By Road – Alice Springs is 290 miles from Ayers Rock, 930 from Darwin and 950 miles from Adelaide.
By Rail – Twice weekly from Adelaide and Darwin aboard the famous Ghan.
By Air – Regional flights to Alice Springs and Ayers Rock from most main cities.
Exploring Options from the Red Centre
With Freedom Australia you can choose what you want to do and how you want to travel. Choose from the freedom of a self drive holiday or combine tours and city stays from multiple regions to create the perfect Australia holiday.
Why Freedom Australia
- Expert staff who have travelled in Australia
- Friendly advice and professional service
- Make the most of your time and budget
- Free planning service
Designed for you
- Holidays designed around your requirements
- Pick and choose the places you want to visit
- Wide range of travelling and touring options
- One consultant to make all your arrangements
- Tailor made service at package tour price
- Superbly located hotels that are best in their class
- Many extras and local charges included
- Book now with a low deposit and pay later
Peace of Mind
- Freedom Destinations is a leading UK travel company
- Independent & established for over 15 years
- Your holiday is fully ABTA and ATOL protected
- 5 star customer reviews