Darwin and the Top End Holidays
Australia’s aptly named ‘Top End’ is a nature lover’s paradise of ancient rainforest, wetlands and untouched tropical wilderness.
This ‘Crocodile Dundee’ region is well known for its wildlife, not always of the friendly kind. There are also some amazing rock paintings to discover, which show the Top End has been inhabited by Aboriginal people for thousands of years, and give a fascinating insight into their culture.
Darwin, the capital of Northern Territory, is the gateway to the Top End. It is a relaxed, easy-going city with a tropical climate and friendly locals.
Save time and money with our Free planning service
Things to do in the Top End
Many of the Top End attractions can be explored by day tour from Darwin but, to fully experience the remoteness and beauty of the territory, consider a guided tour, self drive or the adventure of a motorhome.
- Explore the waterfalls and walking trails of Litchfield National Park
- Shop for locally made souvenirs at Darwin’s Mindil Beach Sunset Markets
- Sit back and enjoy a blockbuster at Darwin’s outdoor Deckchair Cinema
- Relax aboard a sunset cruise through Darwin’s Harbour
- Splash around at Darwin’s Wave Lagoon on the popular Waterfront Precinct
- Watch for jumping crocs on the Adelaide River
- Watch nature unfold aboard a cruise through Kakadu’s Yellow Water Billabong
- Swim in the plunge pools of Kakadu’s spectacular waterfalls
- Take a cultural journey to the Tiwi Islands
- Cruise through the towering walls of Katherine Gorge
Darwin is compact and the town centre and waterfront areas are easy to explore on foot.
By Road – 930 miles from Alice Springs and 1880 from Adelaide along the, sometimes deserted, Stuart Highway.
By Rail – Twice weekly from Adelaide and Alice Springs aboard the famous Ghan.
By Air – Connecting international flights from and regional flights from Asia and most Australian cities.
Why Freedom Australia
- Expert staff who have travelled in Australia
- Friendly advice and professional service
- Make the most of your time and budget
- Free planning service
Designed for you
- Holidays designed around your requirements
- Pick and choose the places you want to visit
- Wide range of travelling and touring options
- One consultant to make all your arrangements
- Tailor made service at package tour price
- Superbly located hotels that are best in their class
- Many extras and local charges included
- Book now with a low deposit and pay later
Peace of Mind
- Freedom Destinations is a leading UK travel company
- Independent & established for over 15 years
- Your holiday is fully ABTA and ATOL protected
- 5 star customer reviews