Melbourne and Victoria
With its Victorian buildings, tree lined boulevards and fine parks and gardens, Melbourne is very much a ‘grand city’ – but the café and beach culture and laid back Aussie lifestyle are never far away. Many of Australia’s major sporting events take place in Melbourne.
Further afield, the attractions of Victoria are there to tempt you, from the native wildlife of Wilsons Promontory and Phillip Island to the breathtaking scenery of the Great Ocean Road. Inland are the world class wineries of the Yarra Valley, spectacular National Parks and the remains of historic gold rush towns upon which the state was built.
Save time and money with our Free planning service
Things to do in Melbourne
With impressive galleries, museums and splendid gardens, there is no shortage of things to do in Melbourne. And you are never far from the riverside restaurants and cafés of the Southbank.
- Enjoy lofty views from the Eureka Skydeck
- Visit Captain Cook Cottage in leafy Fitzroy Gardens
- Sample the waterside bars and restaurants of trendy Southbank
- Look for family names in the thought provoking Immigration Museum
- Stroll through the riverside parks and Royal Botanical Gardens
- Shop for souvenirs and more at the Queen Victoria Market
- People watch from the 100s of pavement cafés
- Take an historic tram to the beachside district of St Kilda
- Watch a ‘footy’ match or concert on the big screen in Federation Square
- Take a celebrity trip to Neighbour’s Ramsey Street
- Enjoy a flutter and the entertainment at Crown Casino
- Discover the secrets of Melbourne on a Laneways walking tour
- Immerse yourself in sporting history at the famous MCG
- See where Ned Kelly met his end at Melbourne Gaol
Melbourne’s grid pattern of streets makes exploring easy by foot.
A free circular tram route connects many of the attractions and the 100 year old network also extends to St Kilda Beach and beyond.
Melbourne is also the centre of some great day tours and excursions which can be pre-booked with Freedom Australia.
One of Australia’s smallest states is easy and fun to explore.
Throughout Victoria are old mines and relics of the gold rush era, which doubled the population of the state in the late 1800s. There are also beautiful National Parks, perfect for bushwalking, delightful country towns and plenty of top class vineyards to visit.
To the south of Melbourne, around Port Phillip Bay, are the sandy beaches and rolling hills of the Mornington Peninsula. You can cross from here to Victoria’s second city of Geelong and the surf beaches and spectacular scenery of Australia’s Great Ocean Road.
- Pan for gold at Sovereign Hill historic village
- Get close to native wildlife on Phillip Island
- Go vineyard hopping in the beautiful Yarra Valley
- Take in the magnificent ocean views along the Great Ocean Road
- Cruise the Murray River by paddle wheeler at Mildura
- Explore the wineries and beach of the Mornington Peninsula
- Bushwalk through the spectacular Wilsons Promontory
- Discover wildlife and wild flowers in the Grampians National Park
- Go boating or canoeing in Victoria’s Lakes District
- Travel through the Dandenongs on the Puffing Billy railway
- Meet 100s of Australian animals at Healesville Sanctuary
- Relax in the spas of Hepburn Springs
By Road – 550 miles from Sydney, and 500 from Adelaide along the Great Ocean Road.
By Rail – scenic day services to Sydney or Adelaide.
By Air – direct UK flights and regional flights from most parts of Australia, including Tasmania.
By Sea – convenient overnight ferry from Tasmania.
Why Freedom Australia
- Expert staff who have travelled in Australia
- Friendly advice and professional service
- Make the most of your time and budget
- Free planning service
Designed for you
- Holidays designed around your requirements
- Pick and choose the places you want to visit
- Wide range of travelling and touring options
- One consultant to make all your arrangements
- Tailor made service at package tour price
- Superbly located hotels that are best in their class
- Many extras and local charges included
- Book now with a low deposit and pay later
Peace of Mind
- Freedom Destinations is a leading UK travel company
- Independent & established for over 15 years
- Your holiday is fully ABTA and ATOL protected
- 5 star customer reviews